Thursday, November 13, 2008

There's nothing sweeter...


...than children sleeping like angels. And you never know where the sleeping angels may end up around here.

Speaking of sleep, I'm not sure whether I'm jaded or just more experienced, but the littlest angel is now learning how to put herself to sleep. As much as I think the theory of co-sleeping is blissfully wonderful, I learned from the first two that I end up feeling like a monster after a few months. In one sense it is difficult becuase I really enjoy being close to her and her baby-hood seems to be going by so quickly. But on the other hand, I don't have as many moments in which I feel like I'm going to go absolutely crazy. Motherhood would be perfectly blissful if we never needed to sleep or clean or run errands and we could just sit in awe of our children. But there has to be a thorn in the flesh. (Sigh).

2 comments:

Leigh @ Organic Mamas said...

Brenda, I relate all too well with your frustrations and joys of co-sleeping. Felicity, now 10 months still sleeps with me. Once my fertilityt returns I am going to attempt to put her in her own bed. But I know from other mothers how daunting and difficult that can be. There are SO many benefits of co-sleeping, yet I am rethinking my decision to do the same with my next child. Although I think I am being a little selfish, although realistic in that decision. What made you change your mind about co-sleeping? And how did you get the little one's out of your bed eventually?
Leigh

These Boys' Mom said...

Oh Brenda!!! How blessed we are to become wiser even as we lose brain cells during this journey of mothering. ;-) We did co-sleeping with #1 and after 9 months, I vowed never again. I am positive that for some mothers co-sleeping is the answer, but for me it was not. I have a hugely guilty conscience and yet making the decision to strictly limit co-sleeping to our subsequent newborns who needed to nurse every 2-3 hours offered me absolutely no guilty feelings. I realized that was a much better mother, wife and human being if I got some sleep and that was a good thing for everyone involved. In many ways I would have rathered continuing sleeping with my babies, but after a grueling transition with #1, I knew it was better to allow our babies to make that transition from our bed to their own as early as possible. And the happy alternative in our 1000 sq. feet of living space is that from our bed, the babies move into a room with siblings--this, too, has proven a very good thing.